Collecting Nursing History 53
Eva Summers 1878- 1923
|Please Note: Whilst every care is taken in checking promoted links, we cannot accept responsibility for your use of third party web links.|
Born in West Hartlepool in May 1878, Eva was the fourth of nine children born to John Summers and his wife Margaret.(1) Eva trained at the London Temperance Hospital from 1910-1913 and left in February 1914.(2)
Above: Eva’s (brass) London Temperance Hospital badge.
She moved to St
Peter’s Hospital for three months and then moved to St Mary’s
Nursing Home in Ashton-on-Mersey, Cheshire. In December 1914 was
promoted to Sister.(3) The home became a Military hospital in February 1915, in response to
Eva was demobbed in 1919 with a glowing reference …'has a good professional ability and is a very capable and sensible person. She is particularly tactful in dealing with difficult patients and is very kind and attentive to the patients'.(6) Working with soldiers who had been maimed by war and many with neurological injuries must have taken great nursing skill and professionalism.
In 1920 Eva
communicated with the T.F.N.S. management about her reference which
had unfortunately been despatched to her with the wrong name on. In
June 1923 the Joint Nursing and V.A.D. Services Committee wrote to
Dame Maud McCarthy, Matron–in–Chief of the TANS to say that Eva, who
had been suffering from cancer for some …'considerable'… time had
died, aged 45 years.(7)
The committee had been allowing her a grant of £2 per week up until
her death and decided to show compassion and allow her mother to
keep Eva’s T.F.N.S. medal.(8)
Her mother appears to have died that autumn following Eva’s death.
The London Temperance Hospital:
Known as the
National Temperance Hospital from 1939 it was originally located in
Gower Street, Bloomsbury. It was part of an initiate by the National
Temperance League, and the board of governors were all teetotal.
Many hospitals believed in the beneficial properties of alcohol
which was used in clinical practice. The L.T.H. hoped to prove that
they could save money and improve staff productivity by encouraging
abstinence. In 1885 the hospital relocated to a site at the back of
Euston Station. The N.T.H. became part of the N.H.S. in 1948 and was
taken over by University Colle Hospital in 1968. It was finally
closed in 1990, and looks likely to be demolished as part of the
HS2’s construction plans.(9)
Various badges have been awarded to nurses who trained at the hospital:
Above: variations of the hospital nurses badge.
All the above images copyright www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk.
1. www.ancery.co.uk, accessed 1January 2016.
2. Nursing records for 1892-1948 are held by University College NHS Trust.
3.The National Archives, WO399/14818,Eva Summers accessed 1 January 2016.
4.The National Archives, WO399/14818,Eva Summers, form II, accessed 1 January 2016.
5. http://www.1914-1918.net/hospitals_uk.htm, accessed 1 January 2016.
6. The National Archives, WO399/14818,Eva Summers, accessed 1 January 2016.
7. The National Archives, WO399/14818,Eva Summers, June 29.1923, accessed 1 January 2016.
8. The TFNS were usually very strict about the return of medals to them.
|Home Schools Region Forum Collecting Galleries History Bibliography News Archive Contact|